few weeks back we told you that some top Republican consultants — outside the CA Republican Party — were reaching out to Latinos. And that they had a plan for a low-key test run to actually get Latino Republicans elected in 2012. Pete Wilson’s legacy be damned.
Well, they jumped their own starting line. Turns out that in the final six weeks of the campaign the Grow Elect crew helped to get six Latino Republicans elected to low-level local offices in Los Angeles County. Four of them were new candidates, two were re-elected. They supported 15 candidates — giving them anywhere from a few hundred bucks to a couple thousand, plus some grassroots organizing/political consulting help.
And, Grow Elect will continue its work in very Democratic Los Angeles County in 2012 by running 30-40 local candidates.
About time and this type of outreach should have happened decades ago.
Here are Grow elect’s recent winners:
- Salvador Contreras, Maywood City Treasurer
- Carol Herrera, Diamond Bar City Council
- Edwin Hernandez, Lynwood City Treasurer
- Gloria Ramos, Centinela Valley School Board
- Ron Esquivel, Rosemead School District
- Cathi Eredia, El Monte School District